Saturday, August 17, 2013

Delight in the Lord

Delight in the Lord…how am I delighting in Him today? How am I praising Him for what He’s done for us? For that matter, what does it mean to delight in Him?

Noah Webster (1828 edition) describes the word “delighting” this way:

  • A high degree of pleasure, or satisfaction of mind; joy.
  • That which gives great pleasure; that which affords delight.
  • Delight is a more permanent pleasure than joy, and not dependent on sudden excitement.
  • To affect with great pleasure; to please highly; to give or afford high satisfaction or joy; as, a beautiful landscape delights the eye; harmony delights the ear; the good conduct of children, and especially their piety, delights their parents.
  • To receive great pleasure in.
  • To have or take great pleasure; to be greatly pleased or rejoiced; followed by in.

So, if you delight in the Lord, you’re taking pleasure and rejoicing in Him. Giving Him great satisfaction or joy.

Did you notice the third explanation: “Delight is a more permanent pleasure than joy, and not dependent on sudden excitement.” That is so true. So often we rejoice in something, and then forget about it quickly. Delighting is returning again and again to that joy, and filling yourself with it.

How are you delighting in the Lord today? For myself, I’d say that I’m delighting in His Word. I love reading it, and finding little gems all through it. And there’s so much more I could say about ways I’m delighting in Him today. Now…your turn! How are you rejoicing in His goodness today?

Keep delighting in Him!
Esther

6 comments:

  1. What a great (and much needed) post! I really like the way you explained the passage -- easy to understand :D
    Same as you, today, I am delighting in God's Word; though for me, in memorizing it. I have been so blessed to have been able to memorize 9 more verses in 1 John today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was helpful, Rosie! :)

    Wow...nine verses! I've been able to memorise three at a time, but haven't done more for fear that I'll be cramming and not remember it later! :) Keep up the good work! :)

    Blessings,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three verses is really good! Oh, I understand about feeling like I'm cramming (and then not remembering it) -- here's something that has helped me not forget my verses if I've memorized a lot all at once.

    Simply, if you memorize several verses in the morning, then in the afternoon, see how well you remember them. Then, the next morning, go over everything you have memorized so far; if you have a hard time with what you learned the day before, well, I just review them until I get them right :-) And usually, a couple days after I've memorized them, I have them down. Just an idea...:) It works pretty well though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good idea! :) I usually only go over my verses once per day but I can see how helpful it would be if I would go over it more than once. Thanks for sharing!

    By the way, we've started up a JOJ writing group. I don't know how it would work for you and emails and all. We're on Google Groups, here (although you wouldn't be able to see it unless I invited you): groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/joj-writers-group. If your parents have a Gmail account, it would work to view this. Something you might want to pray and talk about. :)

    Blessings,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome -- hopefully that will be somewhat helpful to you :)

    Thank you for letting me know. I've been quite busy with Bible Bee and getting ready for school that I haven't had any time to think about it. I will definitely be thinking and praying about that (and talking to my parents).

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for taking time to comment. Your input is always appreciated! (Please remember that we reserve the right to remove your comment if we deem it unacceptable.)

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”Colossians 3:17 (NIV)