Delight in the Lord…how am I delighting in Him today? How am I praising Him for what He’s done for us? For that matter, what does it mean to delight in Him?
Noah Webster (1828 edition) describes the word “delighting” this way:
- A high degree of pleasure, or satisfaction of mind; joy.
- That which gives great pleasure; that which affords delight.
- Delight is a more permanent pleasure than joy, and not dependent on sudden excitement.
- To affect with great pleasure; to please highly; to give or afford high satisfaction or joy; as, a beautiful landscape delights the eye; harmony delights the ear; the good conduct of children, and especially their piety, delights their parents.
- To receive great pleasure in.
- To have or take great pleasure; to be greatly pleased or rejoiced; followed by in.
So, if you delight in the Lord, you’re taking pleasure and rejoicing in Him. Giving Him great satisfaction or joy.
Did you notice the third explanation: “Delight is a more permanent pleasure than joy, and not dependent on sudden excitement.” That is so true. So often we rejoice in something, and then forget about it quickly. Delighting is returning again and again to that joy, and filling yourself with it.
How are you delighting in the Lord today? For myself, I’d say that I’m delighting in His Word. I love reading it, and finding little gems all through it. And there’s so much more I could say about ways I’m delighting in Him today. Now…your turn! How are you rejoicing in His goodness today?
Keep delighting in Him!