Saturday, January 26, 2013

God in Me

{My thoughts after reading Romans 8}

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” ~ Romans 8:9

Woah. That verse is really though-provoking. And scary. “If any man have not the Spirit of Christ…” Now I know that not everyone is scared of that verse, but some of us say, “Wow, God, do you really mean that?” I mean, really! It says that if any man does not have the Spirit of Christ, then he is “not of His”. Literally, not a Christian. What a profound meaning!

The beginning of the verse starts out with, “But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit…” Obviously, God is saying here that if you are not “in the Spirit”, then you are “in the flesh”. Simple as that. Black and white. No grey section, no kinda-sorta-following-God-and-doing-what-I-want-to-do-at-the-same- time. None of that. You’re either following God, or you’re following your own way.

You have two choices; one to say:

I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.” (Psalm 16:8)

Or to say:

[I will] …leave the paths of uprightness, …walk in the ways of darkness; …rejoice to do evil, and delight in the frowardness of the wicked…” (Proverbs 2:13-14, paraphrased)


This is where the going gets tough. Right here. I’m asking the same question you are, in all probability, “How do I follow the LORD and be ‘in the Spirit’? How can I be sure that I’m not going to be ‘in the flesh’?” It’s a hard question, and I don’t have the answer. But back to the Bible, I read:
  • He that followeth after righteousness and mercy findeth life, righteousness, and honour.” (Proverbs 21:21)
  • Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.” (Romans 14:19)
  • Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.” (Ephesians 5:1-4)
  • And I’ll let you read Ephesians 5:5-33 for yourself. :) 
It isn’t a hard decision. It’s just a hard principle to live out day in and day out. I’m praying for you, sisters! Strive for the goal; Christ has conquered!

Have a blessed Sunday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking time to comment. Your input is always appreciated! (Please remember that we reserve the right to remove your comment if we deem it unacceptable.)

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”Colossians 3:17 (NIV)