Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Battle Surrendered--Part 2 of 5

Here's part two of this story!  Read part one here. Enjoy (and come back tomorrow for installment no. 3!)

Part Two 


“Can… can you get me out?” I asked.

His smile grew even larger. “That’s what I came here to do.” His face drew back from the hole as he stood.

I waited while he hacked away at the stone, making the crack large enough for him to crawl through. It was a few minutes before I realized that he was using a sword to send the bricks of my prison tumbling down. That was one strong blade.

Finally, he secured a rope outside the dungeon and used it to climb down through the gap he had made. He looked like a prince out of a fairy tale; dressed in white from head to toe, a long cape thrown over his shoulders. Gold thread was stitched in flowing patterns on his cape. A leather bag was strapped to his back.

When he stood in front of me, I lifted my shackled wrists and said, “I’m chained. I don’t know where the key is.”

He reached into a pocket on his tunic and took out a tiny gold object. “You mean this key?” Grinning, he quickly bent to unlock the chains on my wrists and ankles.

“How did you know I was here?” I asked as he unbound me.

“Er, well,” he said, “I’ve known for a long time that you would be here. I’m here to train you. But I can’t train you if you’re locked up like this.”

“Train me? Why?” I had read stories about kids who were sucked into fantasy worlds and trained to be warriors for special missions. The thought that I could be like them filled me with jittery excitement.

“‘Why?’” he repeated, letting my final shackle fall to the floor. “You think you don’t need training?”

“No, no! It’s just that… why me? Why was I chosen to be trained? Does it have something to do with those shadow creatures? Why were they after me?”

He looked me in the eye. “They are after all of you, dear heart.” With that, he turned back toward the rope, leaving me to follow and wonder what he had against direct answers.

It was pretty easy to climb out of the dungeon with my feet braced on the wall and my rescuer beneath me to give me a lift if I needed it. Soon, he and I were standing in the green grass outside my prison. I shaded my eyes from the sun as I turned to look at the awful place. It was a single tall tower without any doors or windows, sitting in the middle of a forest.

“Um, so, Sir…?” I let my sentence trail off and turned to look at my rescuer, who was busy coiling the rope. “Sorry. I didn’t get your name?”

“Jesus,” was the calm reply.
Photo Credit

My jaw dropped. His grin returned as He added, “You wanted directness.”

Was it a complete miracle or complete lunacy? The fact that He could read my mind pretty much ruled out insanity, but could it really be Him?

Before I could say anything, He stretched out His hand toward me. One look at the ugly puncture wound marring His skin was enough to convince me. My mind spun.

He pulled me out of my circling thoughts by pointing out, “You were about to ask Me something?”

“Uh, yeah. When do we start… um, that is, when are You…?”

“When does your training begin?” He said.

I nodded, still dumbfounded.

“When you are ready,” He said.

I managed to squeak out, “Am I ready now?”

He smiled. “You tell Me. Are you?”

“I think so.”

He waited.

“Yes. I’m ready.”

“Good. Then let’s get to work.” He shouldered the coiled rope and strode into the forest.

I scurried after Him, calling, “Wait! Where are we going?”

“Follow me.”

I stopped. “Did You just quote Yourself?”

Thankfully, He understood my sense of humor and laughed. “Yes, I tend to do that. It makes it easier for people to see things the way I do.”

“And that’s supposed to mean…?” I asked as I again hurried to keep up with Him.

“That I never change. I am the same at this moment as I was two-thousand years ago, and as I was at the creation of the universe. Today, tomorrow, and yesterday, I remain the same. And so I can quote Myself in everything.”

Come back tomorrow for part three!

2 comments:

Hello! Thank you for taking time to comment. Your input is always appreciated! (Please remember that we reserve the right to remove your comment if we deem it unacceptable.)

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”Colossians 3:17 (NIV)