Friday, October 3, 2014

The Servant Attitude

It's so easy to be resentful when we are asked to serve others. It's so easy to complain and whinge and moan when we find it is necessary to be a servant. 

Yet shouldn't we be following in the footsteps of our Lord who himself washed the feet of his disciples as an example that we should serve each other? 

John 13:12-14
When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.

Matthew 23:11-12
The greatest among you will be your servant.  For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

I think the following song just sums it all up beautifully.

The 'Servant Song'

Brother, let me be your servant.
Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.

We are pilgrims on a journey.
We are brothers on the road.
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ-light for you
In the night time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you;
Speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping.
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven,
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony.

Brother, let me be your servant.
Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.


Some other pertinent Bible verses are as follows:

Matthew 20:26-27
Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

1 Peter 4:10
As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace (emphasis added)

Acts 20:35
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

Proverbs 11:25
Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you. (emphasis added)


Many blessings to you all!
Bonnie xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking time to comment. Your input is always appreciated! (Please remember that we reserve the right to remove your comment if we deem it unacceptable.)

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”Colossians 3:17 (NIV)